Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Coronavirus – going out and meeting with people

This advice applies to Wales

It’s usually against the law to meet inside someone’s home with more than 6 people, unless you live with them or they’re in your ‘extended household’.

You can meet with any number of people:

  • outdoors
  • in your workplace
  • at an organised event
  • in a restaurant or other business - but they might have their own rules on group sizes
  • in a place of worship
  • in a court

The government recommend you keep at least 2 metres away from people who aren’t members of your household. If you have children under 11 years old, they don’t need to keep 2 metres away from other people.

You should read the latest guidance on what you can and can’t do on the Welsh government’s website.

Check what happens if you break the rules

The police can tell you to go home or give you a £60 fine. The fine will go up if you break the rules again.

Check if there’s an exception to the rules about meeting people

In some situations you can meet indoors in a group of more than 6 people from different households. You can do this if you're:

  • educating or looking after children
  • getting or giving medical help – for example if you’re caring for someone who doesn’t live with you
  • helping someone in an emergency

You can check if you’re in a situation where the rules about meeting people don’t apply on the Welsh government website.

Going to a wedding or a funeral

You can go to a wedding, civil partnership registration or funeral as long as you’ve been invited.

You can have an indoor wedding or reception with up to 1,000 people if everyone is seated, or 200 people if they’re standing.

You can have an indoor wake or memorial with up to 30 people.

Joining an extended household

Your household can form an ‘extended household’ with up to 3 other households. You can:

  • meet at home in a group of more than 6 
  • stay in each other’s homes
  • have physical contact

You can be in up to 3 different extended households at the same time. You can switch to a different extended household if you haven’t had contact with your old one for 10 days.

If you have a 'support bubble' with another household, you can continue seeing them and also be part of up to 3 extended households.

You can check what the rules are on the Welsh government website.

If you’re separated from your children’s other parent

Your children can be part of both parents' households if they:

  • are under 18
  • see you and their other parent

You can read the government’s latest guidance on what you can and can’t do on GOV.UK.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.