Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

This advice applies to Wales. Change country Glossary of immigration and nationality terms

Extent EWS

[How to use this page information will be added]


A2 national

Nationals of Bulgaria and Romania that acceded to the European Union on 1 January 2007 (the A2 countries). Before 1 January 2014 they usually needed to obtain a work authorisation document before obtaining employment and would then be issued with an accession work card.

 More about A2 nationals

A8 national

Nationals of eight of the ten countries that acceded to the European Union on 1 May 2004 (the A8 countries). The eight countries are the Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia.

 More about A8 nationals

Application registration card

Credit card sized card issued to an asylum seeker by the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) confirming identity and giving biographical details.

Association Agreement

Agreement between the European Union (EU) and another country. Generally concerning commercial and cultural links, they may also give the nationals of the non-EU country certain rights in the EU.

 More about using EC/EU association and co-operation agreements

Biometric Residence Permit

A biometric residence permit is a residence permit issued to foreign nationals from outside the EEA when they make certain successful immigration applications, such as leave to remain. The permit holds the migrant's personal details, including their fingerprints, and shows their immigration status and entitlements while they remain in the UK. Migrants applying for certain immigration categories which do not need a biometric residence permit will receive a sticker (vignette) in their passport.

[Continues through B - D]


Entry certificate

Entry clearance given to a non-visa national in the form of a sticker in the applicant’s passport.

 More about entry certificates

Entry clearance

Confirmation obtained before travel, in the form of a document such as an entry certificate or a visa, of eligibility to enter the UK for a specified reason. Entry clearances now normally operate as leave to enter.

 More about getting entry clearance

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.