Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Letter to complain about faulty goods bought on hire purchase

This advice applies to Wales

If you bought the goods before 1 October 2015

This letter applies to goods that you bought on or after 1 October 2015. 

If you bought the goods before 1 October 2015, contact the Consumer Service for advice on what to include in your letter. 

Use this letter template to complain to the finance company that you make your hire purchase (HP) payments to. They are responsible if the goods are faulty, rather than the trader that sold them to you.

It should help the trader understand your point of view and their legal obligation to sort out the problem.

You can send the letter by post or copy the text into an email. If you’d prefer to talk to the trader on the phone or in person you could read it out to them.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.