Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Complain about PPI commission

This advice applies to Wales

You might be able to complain about the commission for payment protection insurance (PPI) and get some money back if you:

If your mis-selling complaint was rejected after 31 December 2015, the PPI company will usually investigate the commission automatically. They’ll write to you if you need to do anything else.

If your complaint was rejected before then, you’ll need to make a new complaint unless the company has written to tell you they’re going to investigate the commission. Ask the company if you’re not sure what you need to do.

You might not get any money back if you bought the PPI before 6 April 2007 and finished your payments before 6 April 2008. It’s worth making a complaint if you’re not sure - the company will investigate and let you know.

You need to complain by 29 August 2019. You can complain for someone else if they need help.

Making a complaint

It’s free to complain yourself, and you don’t need a company to do it for you - they usually take some of the money you get back.

Before you complain, it’s useful to know:

  • your PPI policy number - if you have it
  • when you got the loan or credit
  • when you bought the PPI - usually the same date as the loan or credit
  • if you were employed or self-employed at the time

You can complain on the FCA website - find the company you borrowed from and fill in the complaint form.

If you can’t find the company, they might have changed their name or gone out of business - ask the FCA who you should complain to.

Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) - PPI helpline
Telephone: 0800 101 8800
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm and Saturday, 9am to 1pm
Textphone: 18001 01434 372 580
Twitter: @ppifca

After you’ve complained

The company should write to you within 8 weeks to tell you if they accept your complaint - or to explain why they need more time.

If they accept your complaint, contact them if they haven’t paid you after 2 weeks - you might need to accept the offer formally.

If the company doesn’t write to you or you’re not happy with their decision, you can complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service. You’ll need to do this within 6 months after:

  • the date on the company’s letter - if they rejected your complaint
  • the date you complained plus 8 weeks - if they didn’t write to you

If it was more than 6 months ago, the Financial Ombudsman Service might still help if you couldn’t complain earlier - for example because you were seriously ill.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.