Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Make sure your home is energy efficient

This advice applies to Wales

You might be able to save money by making your home more energy efficient – for example by:

  • using your central heating effectively

  • keeping your home warm for longer

  • making changes so you use less electricity and gas

Check your central heating

You’ll spend more on energy if your heating system doesn’t work or isn’t set up properly.

Use timers and thermostats if you have them - this way you’ll only heat your house when necessary. On average, you’ll save around £70 each year.

Find out how to set up your heating system on the Energy Saving Trust website.

If your heating doesn't work

Try to get it fixed as soon as possible so you don’t need to use portable electric heaters, which cost more.

If you rent your home, ask your landlord to fix the heating. They usually have to make sure your plumbing and heating work properly. Check what repairs your landlord has to do.

Make improvements to your home

You might be able to reduce your bills, for example by adding insulation or installing a better heating system.

You might be able to get a home energy grant to help pay for the improvements.

Check what improvements you can make and grants you could get on GOV.UK.

Installing low carbon alternatives to gas heating 

You could install a low carbon heating system - for example, a heat pump. Find out more about heat pumps from the Energy Saving Trust. You might be able to get a grant to help with the cost through the Boiler Upgrade Scheme. Check if you’re eligible for the Boiler Upgrade Scheme on GOV.UK.

If you're renting

You must get your landlord’s permission before you make improvements to your home.

If your Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) says your home is rated in band F or G, your landlord normally has to make some improvements. You can check your home’s EPC rating on the Simple Energy Advice website.

Write to your landlord and ask them to make improvements to your home. Tell them the EPC rating should be at least band E. Explain that you think it’s their responsibility.

If your landlord won’t make the improvements you can complain to the council - find your local council on GOV.UK.

Your landlord won’t have to make improvements if your home is exempt from the ‘minimum standard’ of energy efficiency. You can check if your home is exempt from the minimum standard on GOV.UK.

Get more advice

Contact your council to check if there are local support schemes or energy efficiency agencies that can give you advice. Find your council's contact details on GOV.UK.

You can get more advice about making your home more energy efficient from either:

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.