Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Letter to switch energy supplier if you have a prepayment meter

This advice applies to Wales

You can use this template letter if you've tried to move to another gas or electricity supplier but your current supplier has objected. The letter asks your supplier to complete your switch if all of the following apply:

  • you have a prepayment meter
  • you owe your supplier money, but your debt isn't more than £500 for gas or £500 for electricity
  • you've asked them to switch you to a different supplier
  • they've sent you a letter saying no because of your debt

Before you begin you'll need:

  • the name of your current supplier
  • your account or customer number
  • the name of the person who wrote to you
  • the date you received their letter
  • the name of the new supplier you want to switch to
  • the amount of money you owe your current supplier

To create your letter, click on the 'write letter' button and follow the steps. You'll need to enter some information about yourself and your account. You can then preview and download your letter.

This is an example letter, and it might not suit your specific situation.

If you need more detailed advice or guidance, contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.