Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Sending your PIP claim form

This advice applies to Wales

The PIP claim form is a really important part of your application because it’s your chance to show why your illness, health condition or disability means you should get Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

You’re sent the claim form by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). They'll send it to you in the post after you've phoned them to start your claim

You must use the form the DWP send you - you can’t get it online or pick one up from an advice centre. If you’re terminally ill, you won’t be sent a claim form because the claim process is different if you're terminally ill

Before you fill in your form

Before you fill in your claim form, check our guidance on how to fill in the form properly. It explains what each question means, contains hints and sample answers and tells you what to write in your answers.

It's also a good idea to get someone to check over your claim form before you send it. 

Keep a copy of your form 

It’s a good idea to keep a copy of your completed form. You can then take it with you to your assessment and use it to make sure that you don’t forget anything you want to mention at your assessment.

If you haven't got a copier or scanner, your local Citizens Advice or public library should be able to help you, but you might have to pay a small charge.

Send your PIP form back on time

You must send back the form within 1 month of the date on the letter. The deadline will be shown on the DWP letter that comes with your claim form.

If you miss the deadline, the DWP will assume you no longer want to apply for PIP. Your claim will end.

Worth knowing

Don’t delay sending your claim form if you’re waiting for the DWP to approve an extension or for supporting documents (like a hospital or doctor’s letter). You should send the form so it’s on time and include a letter telling the DWP you’re waiting for their response to your extension request or that more information will follow. 

If you send documents later, you can use this template letter to explain that you're sending evidence after your claim

You’ll need to find out where to send your form.

If you're sending your form by post

The address where you need to send your form should be on the back page of the form or the envelope it came with. If you can’t find it, you may need to call the phone number on the letter that came with the form.

Ask the Post Office for free proof of postage - you might need to show when you sent your PIP form.

If you filled in a digital version of the form

Check the email you got from the DWP when they sent you the form - it should tell you how to send your form back.

If you need more time

Ring the DWP straight away and explain why you need extra time. You must be there to tell the DWP if someone else is going to speak for you.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) enquiry line

Telephone: 0800 121 4433
Textphone: 0800 121 4493

Relay UK - if you can't hear or speak on the phone, you can type what you want to say: 18001 then 0800 121 4433

You can use Relay UK with an app or a textphone. There’s no extra charge to use it. Find out how to use Relay UK on the Relay UK website.

Video relay - if you use British Sign Language (BSL). 

You can find out how to use video relay on YouTube.

Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm

Calls are free from mobiles and landlines.

Explain why you cannot return the form on time and why it's reasonable for you to be given more time.

If you have a good reason for returning the form late, the DWP can agree a new deadline over the phone.

If the DWP agrees to give you extra time (an 'extension'), you should still write to them and confirm they've told you this. Send a copy of any evidence - such as a letter showing you're going into hospital for an operation.

To help you, use this template letter to confirm to the DWP that you have an extension.

It's a good idea to send another copy of this letter and your evidence with your PIP claim form.

If you can't contact the DWP in advance

Send your form in late with a letter explaining why you could not:

  • return the form on time
  • tell the DWP earlier

Send a copy of any proof - for example, a doctor's letter showing you were in hospital that month.

You can write to the contact address on your DWP letter.

If the DWP refuses to accept your late form

You'll have to start your PIP claim again.

You can challenge the DWP's decision within 1 month - this is called a 'mandatory reconsideration'. You should still start a new claim in case your mandatory reconsideration fails.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.