Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

If you've been refused a Blue Badge

This advice applies to Wales

If you’ve been refused a Blue Badge, you can ask for the decision to be reviewed by the council.

It's worth doing this if you can't walk more than 80 metres - about the length of 7 double decker buses, or if you can't use a parking meter because of problems with your arms. 

If you already have a Blue Badge and have been refused a renewal, if it's still valid you can use it until you get the result of your review.

If you’ve had your badge taken away

You can follow these steps to ask for it back - for example, if it’s been taken away because you've misused it or because you’ve moved from DLA to PIP and no longer automatically qualify for a Blue Badge.

Respond to the decision letter

All councils have slightly different review processes - for example some will include a form with your letter to be completed and sent back, and others will ask you to write your own letter. It’s best to follow their instructions.

Reply to the address given on the letter.

You can get help with writing your response from your nearest Citizens Advice.

If you’ve been accused of misusing your badge

You should write to the Blue Badge Team at the Welsh Government.

Blue Badge Team
Integrated Transport Unit
Transport Wales
Welsh Government
Cathays Park
CF10 3NQ

What to write

Your letter will explain why your application was rejected.

Write back, asking for a review of the decision.

Explain why the reasons listed on your letter are wrong, in as much detail as you can.

Include any details you might have missed the first time. For example, if you have mobility problems, explain why using parking meters is painful or why it’s difficult for you to walk very far to get from your car to a shop.

Include scans, copies or photographs of any evidence you have, for example:

  • a letter from your doctor, physiotherapist or another medical expert
  • proof of your address, such as energy or council tax bills - if your local council  don’t think you really live in the area
  • proof of your identity with your picture on it, such as a passport - if your council doesn’t believe you’re the person you say you are
Read our advice on applying for a Blue Badge if you’re not sure what to write - it’ll help you give the right information about your condition.

When you’ll get a response will depend on your local council - you can phone and check if you need to know how long it will take.

If your application was rejected because you’ve misused a badge

It’s still worth asking for a review if you broke the rules because of a situation out of your control. Explain what happened in as much detail as you can.

Make a complaint

You can make a complaint if your council refuse to review their decision, or if you’re unhappy with the way your application has been dealt with.

All councils have slightly different complaints processes - you’ll be able to find out who to contact on their website.

Contact the ombudsman

If you’re not happy with the response to your complaint, you can contact the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales. They’ll take another look at your application, and decide whether your council made the wrong decision.

You can use their online form, download their complaint form and send it in the post, or phone them. 

Public Services Ombudsman for Wales
PO Box 4771
Telephone: 0300 061 0614
Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm, closed weekends 
Calls cost 12p per minute from a landline, and from 3p to 45p from a mobile

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.