Citizens Advice responds to the Fairer Private Rented Sector White Paper
Responding to the announcement of the Fairer Private Rented Sector White Paper, Dame Clare Moriarty, Chief Executive of Citizens Advice, said:
“Today’s announcement is what private renters have been waiting for. For years, they’ve faced enormous problems with landlords holding all the cards because of Section 21 - so-called no fault evictions. Finally putting an end to Section 21 will give renters more security when standing up for their rights.
“We know that renters are struggling amid the cost of living crisis. They need to see these proposals put through parliament as soon as possible.”
Notes to editors
- Citizens Advice includes the national charity; the network of independent local Citizens Advice charities across England and Wales; the Citizens Advice consumer service; and the Witness Service.
- Citizens Advice is the statutory consumer advocate for energy and post. We provide supplier performance information to consumers and policy analysis to decision makers.
- The Citizens Advice Witness Service provides free, independent support for prosecution and defence witnesses in every criminal court in England and Wales.
- Citizens Advice offers Pension Wise services at 500 locations in England and Wales.
- Citizens Advice’s services are free, independent, confidential and impartial, and available to all regardless of race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, age or nationality.
- To get advice online or find your local Citizens Advice, visit citizensadvice.org.uk
- For consumer advice, call the Citizens Advice consumer service on 0808 223 1133 or 0808 223 1144 to talk in Welsh.
- We helped 2.6 million people face to face, by phone, email and webchat in 2017-18. For service statistics see our monthly publication Advice trends.
- Citizens Advice staff are supported by over 23,000 trained volunteers, working at over 2,500 locations in England and Wales.