Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Advice for the armed forces community

This advice applies to Scotland

Are you in the armed forces community

You are a member of the armed forces community if you are:

  • currently serving in the armed forces - either Regular or Reserve
  • a veteran who served in the armed forces - either Regular or Reserve
  • a member of the Merchant Navy who served in a commercial vessel in support of legally defined UK military operations
  • a dependant - for example, the partner or child, of someone who is currently serving in the armed forces, a veteran or a member of the Merchant Navy.

Are you a veteran aged 65 or over

Unforgotten forces

Veterans aged 65 or over and their families living in Scotland can access services and support from Unforgotten Forces - a partnership of 15 organisations, that includes the CAB Service's Armed Forces Advice Project (ASAP).

Unforgotten Forces services for older veterans cover areas such as:

  • advice
  • access to healthcare
  • social isolation and respite
  • creative activities and events for those in care settings.

Call Unforgotten Forces free on 0808 800 1007 (9am - 5pm Mon - Fri) 

Armed Services Advice Project (ASAP)

The Armed Services Advice Project (ASAP) is part of the Scottish Citizens Advice Bureau Service. It offers free, confidential, impartial and practical information, advice and support on a wide range of subjects to the armed forces community in Scotland.

ASAP can help you with:

  • benefits
  • debt and money advice
  • housing
  • work-related problems
  • consumer issues
  • relationships.

To get in touch you can:

  • call the free helpline on 0808 800 1007 (9.00am – 5.00pm Monday to Friday)
  • visit the ASAP website for more information about the service and links to other useful websites
  • ask the service to call you - use the form on the website to send your contact details and a trained adviser will get in touch.

Get advice from the Citizens Advice Service

You can get free, impartial, confidential advice on a wide range of topics from the Citizens Advice Service. See Get advice for the different ways to contact us.

Legion Scotland 

Legion Scotland offers free and confidential advice and representation to any veteran or currently serving member of the Armed Forces to pursue their possible entitlement to a War Disablement Pension or a claim under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme. You do not have to be a member of Legion Scotland. For more information about the Legion Scotland Pension Appeals & Tribunals Service call 0131 550 1566 or email


Poppyscotland provides help and support to the armed forces community in Scotland. This includes help for veterans of all ages as well as those who are still serving and their families. It can provide tailored help with:

  • grants and funding
  • advice
  • employment services
  • mobility
  • respite breaks
  • housing
  • mental health.

RFEA - the armed forces employment charity

RFEA provides careers advice and job and training opportunities for service leavers and veterans. You can register with RFEA and they will contact you directly.

Scottish Government information for veterans

Visit the Scottish Government website for information about sources of support for veterans in Scotland, including information about:

SSAFA – the armed forces charity

SSAFA provides lifelong support to anyone who is currently serving in, or is a veteran of, the armed forces. It provides a wide range of practical and emotional support, including welfare advice, housing and healthcare support. It is an independent charity and is not part of the military chain of command.

The SSAFA Forcesline is a free, confidential helpline and email service that can be contacted from anywhere in the world. Find out how to contact Forcesline on the SSAFA website.

Veterans Assist   

Veterans Assist is part of Veterans Scotland. It collects into one place a wide range of information about the veterans community and veterans support organisations.

Veterans First Point

Veterans First Point is a free service to help veterans and their families adjust to civilian life. It's part of the NHS in Scotland and is run by veterans and clinicians. The help it can offer includes:

  • peer support workers - who can help veterans and their families adjust to civilian life
  • specialist mental health and well-being support - advice and treatment
  • drop-in centres across Scotland - for socialising, meeting other veterans and accessing general support and advice.

Veterans Gateway

Veterans Gateway is a UK-wide website that aims to be the first point of contact for veterans and their families across the UK and abroad. It provides information and links to a wide range of specialist organisations, providing advice about:

  • housing - for example, finding a home or advice about homelessness 
  • employment - for example, finding work after you leave the armed forces
  • living independently - for example, help with mobility or care issues
  • mental well-being - for example, advice about Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) or help with bereavement
  • physical health - for example, medical discharge or accessing support for service related illnesses
  • families and communities - for example, help with family troubles or how to access support groups.

Self-help information is available on the website. It offers UK-wide, Scottish only and local information.

Advice is also available from a team of expert advisers by phone, email or live webchat. This help is free and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Veterans UK

Veterans UK is part of the Ministry of Defence (MOD) and is responsible for information about:

Get advice from the Citizens Advice Service

You can get free, impartial, confidential advice on a wide range of topics from the Citizens Advice Service. See Get advice for the different ways to contact us.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?
Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.