Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Report human trafficking

This advice applies to Scotland

Human trafficking is the trade of people for exploitation and commercial gain.

If you think someone has been trafficked, you can help make them safe.

How to report human trafficking

If you suspect human trafficking, call the police. Call 999 if it’s an emergency, or 101 if it’s not urgent.

If you’d prefer to stay anonymous, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

If you don’t want to call the police, you can talk to a charity anonymously.

Identify human trafficking

Human trafficking doesn’t just happen in the sex industry. People are exploited in construction, farming and even working in other people’s homes.

Usually people who've been trafficked are:

  • lied to about what a job involves
  • brought from another country (but people can also be trafficked within the UK) 
  • forced to work 
  • monitored very closely by whoever they work for

Because people are trafficked to work for very little pay or none at all, it’s sometimes called modern-day slavery or labour exploitation.

Signs of human trafficking

All trafficking cases are different, but there are common signs. A victim of trafficking might:

  • have a lack of freedom
  • work for very little or no pay
  • seem to be in debt to someone
  • live in fear of someone or even the authorities
  • have signs of physical abuse, like cuts and bruises
  • move location regularly

Children can be trafficked too. They will share many common signs with adult victims but might stand out from other children because:

  • they have money or possessions they can’t account for
  • they don’t seem to live with parents or guardians 
  • they’re emotionally unstable, for example, aggressive, withdrawn or anxious

You can find out more about spotting the potential signs of human trafficking on the Modern Slavery Foundation's website 

Get advice

If you want confidential advice about trafficking before calling the police, there are a number of specialist organisations you can talk to. You can contact:

If you need help to decide what to do next, contact your local Citizens Advice.

What happens after you report trafficking

The first thing the police will do is protect someone who has been trafficked from anyone that might harm them.

The police and specialist organisations will work together to provide the victim with practical and emotional support. They’ll get medical care and help arranging accommodation in safe place, away from their traffickers.

If it’s safe, they’ll be helped to return to their home country. If it’s not safe to return, perhaps because they might be trafficked again, they'll get help to stay in the UK permanently. They might be able to get free legal help (called legal aid) for this.

Support for people who've been trafficked in Scotland

The Trafficking Awareness Raising Alliance (TARA) is funded by the government to support women who are over 18 and have been trafficked for sexual exploitation. They can offer safe accommodation and services such as counselling, legal advice and healthcare.

Trafficking Awareness Raising Alliance (TARA)
727 London Road
G40 3AQ

Tel: 0141 276 7724 (lines open 24/7)

Support for victims of trafficking in other languages

Migrant Help provides support for victims of human trafficking in many languages. This support includes secure accommodation, emergency medical treatment, family reunification and help moving forward with life in the UK should the victim stay in the UK.

Migrant Help
Charlton House
Dour Street
CT16 1AT

Free asylum helpline: 0808 8010 503
Tel: 01304 203977

Check what support you can get if you've been trafficked on

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.