Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Making an insurance claim for flood damage

This advice applies to Scotland

Starting a claim for flood damage

The Association of British Insurers (ABI) has produced a guide outlining the general process of a claim for flood damage on the ABI website.

For general information on what you need to think about when making a claim on your insurance, see Making a claim on your insurance policy.

There are steps you can take to help with your claim for flood damage:

  • take photographs of any damage to the structure of the property and its contents
  • write a detailed inventory - make a list of your home contents, if you haven’t done so already
  • take a note of the reading on your electricity meter so that you can claim back the running costs of commercial dryers
  • phone your insurer to start the claim as soon as possible, there are usually time limits 
  • keep a copy of any documents or pictures you send to the insurer, or you get from them
  • ask for a record of any calls made in reference to the claim
  • if you are a vulnerable customer, for example because you are disabled or elderly, tell the insurer. They may prioritise your claim
  • ask how long it will take to settle the claim

What your insurer will do

The Association of British Insurers (ABI) has produced a guide to how insurers should respond to flood damage on the ABI website.

Different insurers have different ways of dealing with building work and repairs. For example, the insurer might:

  • tell you a maximum sum of money (the 'settlement') that they are willing to pay out for the claim and leave you to organise cleaning and repairs to this budget
  • ask you to get quotations from builders, the insurer will then decide who to award the contract to
  • assign a person known as a loss adjuster to organise the repairs and keep costs down for the insurer

For more information, see Building work and repairs for flood damage.

During the assessment period of your claim, if you cannot stay in your home, temporary accommodation will be organised. You should be kept informed of the progress of your claim.

Loss adjusters 

Loss adjusters are employed by insurance companies to assess the damage and decide what will be paid for and how much will be paid. Usually they will try to reduce the cost of a claim.

You may have to negotiate with the loss adjuster to ensure that you receive a settlement amount that you are happy with. You should:

  • check the terms of your policy. For example, are you entitled to new for old? Make sure you receive what you are entitled to
  • look for your own quotations for replacing damaged items with the same quality and spec
  • consider employing a loss assessor to represent your interests. This will cost extra. You can find a loss assessor on the Institute of Public Loss Assessors website
  • negotiate with the loss adjuster about the installation of flood resilient fixtures and fittings. You could argue that this would reduce the loss if the home is flooded again 

Check the settlement includes what is covered under your policy 

See Home insurance for flooding for tips on checking your policy for exclusions.

You may want to ensure that your settlement includes everything that is covered under you policy, such as:

  • the electricity running costs of commercial dryers
  • repairs to the garden or out-buildings
  • reimbursement for temporary accommodation

Temporary accommodation 

You may be able to stay in your home while building and repair work is happening, for example if you have habitable rooms upstairs and working gas and/or electricity. You should think about whether you want to stay in the property while building work is underway.  

If you cannot stay in the property, your insurance company may organise temporary accommodation or reimburse you for temporary accommodation you have organised yourself. This may be a hotel initially, and then rented accommodation in the longer term. Ask your insurance company to provide you with a timetable for completion of the repairs and an estimate of when you will be able to return to your home.

If you are older and/or disabled, you should be provided with accommodation that meets your needs. For example, wheelchair accessible doorways.

While you are living in temporary accommodation, you could ask your local authority to waive council tax on your flooded home until you're back in the property. You will have to pay for council tax for the temporary accommodation. 

If your claim is rejected

If you have problems making an insurance claim, contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau for help and advice

See Problems with an insurance claim and Your insurer refuses your claim.

Sometimes insurers reject a claim because the information you provided when asking technical questions about your flood risk was incorrect. For more information, see Home insurance for flooding.

Next steps

See Building work and repairs for flood damage.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.