Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

If you've been flooded but don't have insurance

This advice applies to Scotland

If you have been flooded but have no insurance, contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau. We can help you apply for financial assistance and check that you are receiving the benefits you are entitled to.

There are a number of sources of help available if you have been flooded and have no home insurance. 

Dedicated hardship funds - if you don't have home insurance

The Scottish Government has previously set up dedicated hardship funds to help those who have been affected by severe flooding in Scotland. These are likely to be highlighted on local media or the Scottish Government website at

You should apply to any hardship funds as soon as they are made public. For information about, or help applying to a hardship fund, contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

Crisis grants -  if you are on a low income

The Scottish Welfare Fund is a national scheme that supports people who have experienced a crisis such as an emergency or a disaster, and need help with unexpected living expenses. Serious flooding is considered a disaster for the purposes of the fund.

You may receive:

  • a grant to cover food, essential heating costs, nappies and toiletries, travel costs, removal expenses, connection charges for gas and electricity and/or accommodation in a hostel
  • furniture and household equipment

If you receive a crisis grant, you do not have to pay it back.

For more information about crisis grants, see Scottish Welfare Fund – crisis grants

Crisis grants are administered by local authorities. They are means tested, so you are unlikely to be eligible if you have capital or savings you could use to pay for the things you need. However, local authorities have discretion to award grants. See below for information on applying for a crisis grant.

Crisis grants - if you want to apply

Each local authority has its own application form. You can find contact details for all the local authorities in Scotland on the Scottish Government's website at

If you need help applying for a crisis grant, contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

If you have applied for a crisis grant but have been refused, contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau. You may be eligible for emergency food from a local foodbank. 

Finding temporary accommodation - if you can't stay in your home 

If you are made homeless because of flooding to your property and you are a tenant, you should ask your landlord if they can provide you with alternative accommodation until you can move back into your own home. If this is not possible, or if you are a homeowner, you may be able to make an application to your local authority housing department as a homeless person.

More about if you're homeless or at risk of homelessness.

Making a homelessness application can be a complicated process. Contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau for help.

Foodbanks - if you need food and essentials

Depending on your circumstances, you may be able to receive food and other essential household items from a local food bank. Your local Citizens Advice Bureau will have details of foodbanks in your area.

For more information, see Foodbanks and other crisis help.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.