Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

When the NHS can pay for ongoing care

This advice applies to Scotland

If you have a serious physical or mental health condition and you need ongoing care, the NHS may be responsible for providing it free of charge.

This is known as Hospital Based Complex Clinical Care, and will be in a hospital setting. Before 1 June 2015, the arrangements were known as NHS continuing healthcare, with different eligibility. If you received NHS continuing healthcare before 1 June 2015, you will continue to receive it. The existing arrangements will remain the same as long as you continue to be eligible. 

Even if you are not eligible for Hospital Based Complex Clinical Care or NHS continuing healthcare, the NHS still has a responsibility to provide your medical care free of charge.

You can find information about Hospital Based Complex Clinical Care and NHS continuing healthcare on the Care Information Scotland website.

You can get more information, advice and support from the Patient Advice and Support Service (PASS). PASS is part of the Scottish Citizens Advice Bureau service and can be accessed from any Citizens Advice Bureau in Scotland. You can call PASS for advice and support on 0800 917 2127. Lines are open Monday to Friday from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm. You can find more information about PASS on the Patient Advice and Support Service website.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.