Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Help in the community

You may need social care services if you are older, disabled or ill. You may need help to manage your affairs or you might be a carer helping someone else.

These pages explain how you can find out how to access the services which could help you and also tell you about how your rights are protected.

Social care services you could get

Find out about the types of social care services that might be available for people who require extra support in their daily life.

How to get social care services

Find out about social care services, the council's assessment of needs in order to provide services and about paying for these services. Includes the options available for 'self-directed support'.

Carers: help and support

Find out whether you are a carer and if you can get help and support, including benefits or allowances. Covers information about getting an Adult Carer Support Plan or a Young Carer Statement, the type of support you might get, help with money, and support organisations.

Making a complaint about social work or social care services

How to make complaints about social care or social work services.

Protection of adults at risk of harm

Information about what can be done to protect adults at risk of harm, including court protection orders.

Managing affairs for someone else

Information on the different ways of managing someone's affairs, what it involves and the types of power of attorney that are available.

Free personal and nursing care

Where to find information about eligibility and the provision of free personal and nursing care.

Disability organisations

Signposting to where to find information and contact details for a wide range of disability organisations and support groups.