Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Complaining about debt management plan providers

This advice applies to Scotland

If you've got a problem with a debt management plan (DMP) provider, you can make a complaint.

This page explains how you can complain about a DMP provider and what to do if you're not happy with the response.

Complain to the DMP provider

If you're not happy about a DMP provider, you can complain directly to the company. All DMP providers must be FCA authorised and a condition of their authorisation is that they must respond to all complaints promptly and fairly. This means you should receive a response which explains what they're going to do about your complaint within 8 weeks.

If another company helped you find the DMP provider

If you think the other company misled you about the DMP provider, you should complain to the DMP provider. The DMP provider is responsible for making sure other companies give you the right advice about them.

If you're unhappy with the DMP provider's response

If you're unhappy with the DMP provider's response to your complaint or they don't reply within 8 weeks, you can make a formal complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). The FOS has official powers to sort out complaints between customers and financial services companies.

Remember that the FOS will only look at your complaint if you've already given your provider the chance to sort things out. You should only contact the FOS if you haven't been able to reach an agreement with your provider.

You should complain to the FOS within 6 months. Find out how to complain to an ombudsman.

Next steps

Check the rules DMP providers must follow.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.