Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Getting a water supply

This advice applies to Scotland

This information applies to Scotland only.

All domestic households in Scotland are provided with water by Scottish Water unless there's a separate private source like a spring or a borehole. Only 3% of households have a private water supply. There's more information about getting a water supply and how to solve some of the problems that can occur with your supply on the Scottish Water website.

Water from Scottish Water

Moving into a property that is new to you

If you have no water coming from the taps, always check first if the stopcock has been turned off. The stopcock should be easy to find inside the house, often under the kitchen sink. There is a second one outside the property boundary which is controlled by Scottish Water.

The previous tenant or owner may have decided that for convenience and safety the water should be turned off in case of water leaks or burst pipes. It's very rare for the water supply to a domestic property to be disconnected from the mains supply.

If your water is turned off, you can call Scottish Water to reconnect the supply on 0845 601 8855. There's no charge to take over a water supply, but there may be a call-out charge.

How to apply for a new supply

When you're in a new property or building a new home which doesn't have a private water supply, Scottish Water must provide a water supply to the point where it can be connected to your domestic pipes - but only if it can be done at reasonable cost (legal note 1).

Your architect or surveyor must check to see if Scottish Water can connect your new property to the public water supply.

If you have problems getting Scottish Water to provide the necessary piping to get your domestic piping to the public water supply, you might be able to make a claim against an architect or surveyor if they failed to check this.

If Scottish Water refuses to connect you to the public supply, for example because of the cost or location, you can appeal to the Directorate for Planning and the Environment. The directorate will decide if Scottish Water's decision is reasonable or not.

Paying for water from the public supply

Once your home is connected to the public water supply, you pay for your domestic water with your council tax, unless you have a water meter. If you have a water meter, you will pay Scottish Water.

Private water supply

You might have a private water supply because of where you live. If you do, it's important to check your water supply source and supply piping regularly. You can read more about risk-assessing your private water supply on the Scottish government website.

You have to register with the local authority environmental health department if you have a private water supply, and you must be able to register where the source is.

Your local authority has a duty to regularly inspect and monitor the quality of drinking water in your private supply if it supplies a large amount of water, serves more than 50 people or supplies a commercial or public activity (legal note 2).

If the supply provides domestic water for fewer than 50 people and doesn't serve commercial or public activities you don't have to complete a risk assessment. The local authority has to give you advice if you ask for it.

Your local authority may also be able to help you find a good private contractor if you need help to make repairs to your private water supply facilities.

Finding a new private water supply

A private water supply can come from surface water like lochs, streams or rivers, or from below ground from boreholes or wells. Most water from such sources will need to be treated before it's suitable to drink.

If you want to create a new private water supply for domestic use, you need to get advice from your local authority environmental health department about obtaining estimates from local surveyors about the costs. You might be eligible for financial help of up to £800 to provide a private supply to your home (legal note 3).

1 Water (Scotland) Act 1980 and Sewerage (Scotland) Act 1968, both as amended by the Water Industry Scotland Act 2005

2 Private Water Supplies (Scotland) Regulations 2006

3 Private Water Supplies (Grants) (Scotland) Regulations 2006

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.