Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Extra money and help PIP entitles you to

This advice applies to Scotland

Changes to PIP in Scotland

A new benefit called Adult Disability Payment is replacing Personal Independence Payment (PIP) in Scotland in 2022.

If you already get PIP

You'll keep getting PIP until you move over to Adult Disability Payment. Social Security Scotland will contact you to tell you when that will happen.

Find out more about changes to PIP on

If you do not already get PIP

You can apply for Adult Disability Payment on or after these dates:

  • 21 March - if you live in Dundee City, Perth and Kinross or the Western Isles
  • 20 June - if you live in Angus, North Lanarkshire or South Lanarkshire
  • 25 July - if you live in Aberdeen City, Aberdeenshire, East Ayrshire, Fife, Moray, North Ayrshire or South Ayrshire
  • 29 August - if you live anywhere else in Scotland.

Find out more about Adult Disability Payment.

If you get PIP you may be entitled to extra money on top of your existing benefits, a reduction in your council tax or road tax bills and discounts on travel.

You’ll need your PIP award letter before you can apply for this extra help. This award letter is sometimes called a PIP award notice. It’s sent to you when the DWP has made a decision on your PIP claim.

Check when you’ll get a Cost of Living Payment

The government will give everyone getting PIP a £150 Cost of Living Payment in September 2022.

To get this payment you must have either:

  • been getting PIP on 25 May 2022

  • applied for PIP by 25 May 2022 - you won't get the payment until your claim is successful

Benefit top-ups

You may get a top-up (called a premium) on the following benefits if you get PIP:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Employment and Support Allowance - but only if you get the PIP daily living component
  • Pension Credit - but only if you get the PIP daily living component

How to apply

Contact the office in charge of your benefits, tell them you’re getting PIP and ask them what other help this entitles you to. You may need to send them a copy of your PIP award letter. They can also tell you how much extra you’ll get.

Getting a disability premium will not reduce your PIP or any of your other benefits so it’s always best to ask the DWP what extra you’re entitled to and apply for it.

It’s always a good idea to check you’re claiming all the benefits you’re entitled to.

Council tax discounts

If you get either the daily living or mobility component of PIP, you may get money off your council tax bill

It’s hard to say exactly how much you’ll get off because it depends on things like the component and rate of PIP you’re getting. However, your council will be able to tell you.

How to apply

To get your discount, contact your local council and tell them you’re getting PIP. You may need to send them a copy of your PIP award letter.

If you claim PIP for a child

If your child is getting PIP, is aged between 16 and 20 and is still in education or training, your Housing Benefit may increase.

You may also get money off your council tax bill. Your council will be able to tell you if you do.

How to apply

To check if you can get this help, contact the office in charge of your Housing Benefit and your local council and tell them your child is getting PIP. They’ll also be able to tell you how much the increase or discount will be.

Travel support

When you get your PIP award letter, you can apply for a:

You may also:

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.