Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Sick or disabled people and carers

If you are sick or disabled, there are different benefits and tax credits that you may be able to claim. Disability Living Allowance and Attendance Allowance help with care needs and getting around.

If you can't work, there is Employment and Support Allowance.

If you care for someone who is disabled, there is Carer's Allowance.

You may also be able to claim other benefits if you are on a low income.

Check what benefits to claim if you’re sick or disabled

Start here if you don’t know what to claim.

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

Check if you can claim Employment and Support Allowance and how to deal with problems.

Personal Independence Payment

Information on eligibility for claiming Personal Independence Payment (PIP), how to fill in the claim form and how to challenge a decision.

Disability Living Allowance for children

Advice for making a Disability Living Allowance claim and help with any problems.

Attendance Allowance

Advice for making an Attendance Allowance claim.

Carer's Allowance

Check if you can get Carer's Allowance and how to make a claim.

If you're an adult on Disability Living Allowance

You can’t make a new claim for DLA if you’re 16 or over. Check what to do if you have a problem with your DLA.

Getting benefits if you got ill or were injured at work

Check if you can claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit and how to deal with problems with it.

Help for disabled travellers

How to apply for and use a Blue Badge, and what to do if you're refused one. How to get a Motability car or get help with transport costs.

Young Carer Grant

Find out about the Young Carer Grant - a payment for carers aged 16-18 years who do at least 16 hours of caring a week on average but don't receive Carer's Allowance.

Child Winter Heating Assistance

This annual benefit payment is to help with the costs of heating for disabled children and young people who receive the highest rate of the care component of Disability Living Allowance.

Child Disability Payment

Find out about Child Disability Payment that's gradually replacing Disability Living Allowance (DLA), for disabled children and young people who live in Scotland. You can also find out about other benefits and help if you get Child Disability Payment.