Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Coronavirus - check if there are changes to your benefits

This advice applies to Scotland

The government have made changes which might affect your benefits.

You don't have to go to any face to face medical assessments at the moment.

You might be asked to go to appointments at the Jobcentre Plus, for example:

  • interviews
  • appointments with your work coach

Call the Jobcentre Plus if you're worried about going to an appointment in person. You can find the number of your nearest Jobcentre Plus on GOV.UK. 

If you’re waiting for a medical assessment

You’ll keep getting paid the same amount of benefit until your assessment.

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will try to assess you without seeing you face to face if any of the following apply:

  • you’ve already been given an assessment date
  • you tell the DWP your condition has got worse
  • you’ve made a new claim for benefits like Universal Credit, Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

It’s important to send your medical evidence as soon as possible. The DWP will try to assess you by looking at your application form and medical evidence. They’ll talk to you over the phone if possible.

If your benefits are ending soon

If your benefits have an end date, the DWP should move the end date back 6 months. For example, if your benefits were due to end in June, they would now end in December instead. The DWP should write to you to tell you the end date has changed.

Your benefits might have an end date if you get:

  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB)

Check your benefit award letter if you’re not sure if your benefit has an end date.

If you haven’t got a letter from the DWP saying they’ve moved the end date back, check by calling the number on your benefits letters.

If the DWP won’t move the end date back and you think you should keep getting your benefit, you should make a new claim.

If you’re paying back an overpayment or budgeting loan to the DWP

You don’t have to make any repayments to the DWP until at least 1 July 2020 – this includes payments to debt collection companies.

If money is normally taken off your benefits or earnings to repay them, this will stop – you don’t have to do anything.

If you normally repay them yourself, you can stop making payments. If you pay by direct debit, you can ask your bank to cancel it.

If you got an advance payment of Universal Credit, you’ll still have to pay this back.

If you’re appealing a DWP benefit decision to the tribunal

If possible, a tribunal judge will assess your case without a hearing. Instead they’ll make a decision based only on the documents.

Send any evidence you have as soon as possible – for example medical evidence.

If the judge assesses your case based on the documents, they’ll send you a ‘provisional decision’. If you don’t agree with the provisional decision, tell the tribunal you want a hearing instead. 

If there has to be a hearing, the tribunal might suggest a phone call or video conference.

Tell the tribunal as soon as possible if you will find it difficult to have a remote hearing. For example, tell them if you don’t have the equipment for a conference call. You can find out what happens at a remote hearing on GOV.UK.

If you get Universal Credit

Your work coach might ask you to look for work or be available for work. This depends on your claimant commitment and which work-related activity group you’re in. 

Check your Universal Credit account regularly so you don’t miss any messages about this. Contact your work coach if you’re not sure if you need to be looking for work. 

If you’ll struggle to complete the work-related activities in your claimant commitment, you might be able to change them. Find out how to change your claimant commitment.

If you’re earning less money because of coronavirus you’re likely to get more Universal Credit. If you’re an employee, you don’t need to tell the government you’re earning less money. If you get a payment from your employer because you’re furloughed from work, this counts as earnings.

If you’re self-employed

You need to tell the DWP if you get money from the Self-employment Income Support Scheme, because this counts as income. Tell the DWP by making a note on your online account on GOV.UK.

Your work coach can remove or reduce your minimum income floor. This means you might be able to get more Universal Credit. Tell your work coach if you’re:

  • staying at home because of coronavirus
  • having trouble getting work because of coronavirus

Tell your work coach by making a note on your online account on GOV.UK.

If you get Jobseeker’s Allowance

Your work coach might ask you to look for work or be available for work. This depends on what you agreed in your jobseeker’s agreement.

Check for messages from your work coach about this. Contact your work coach if you’re not sure if you need to be looking for work. 

If you’ll struggle to complete the work-related activities in your jobseeker’s agreement, you might be able to change them. Find out how to change your jobseeker’s agreement.

If you get Housing Benefit 

You might be able to get more money if you’re earning less because of coronavirus. Let your local council know as soon as possible.

If you’re struggling to pay your bills, you might be able to get extra help. 

If you get Working Tax Credits

You don’t need to tell HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) about short-term changes to your working hours. You’ll need to start reporting changes 8 weeks after the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme closes at the end of October. It doesn’t matter if you’re not on this scheme.

At the moment, you don’t have to tell HMRC about things like:

  • your employer reducing your hours temporarily

  • your employer paying you through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme – this is called being ‘furloughed’

  • getting less work if you're self-employed

You still have to tell HMRC if your working hours increase or there are permanent changes to your job - for example if:

  • you're made redundant or lose your job
  • you've stopped being self-employed because you weren't getting any work
  • your hours change permanently 

If you’re earning less than normal

You should tell HMRC – you might get more money.

You’ll only get more money if your income drops by £2,500 across the tax year, which runs from 6 April to 5 April. If you say your salary will drop by this much and it doesn’t, you’ll have to pay back any extra money you got. 

If you don’t think your income will drop by that much, you should check if you would get more money on Universal Credit. If you start claiming Universal Credit, you won’t be able to claim Working Tax Credits anymore. It’s best to talk to an adviser about moving on to Universal Credit.

If you get Carer’s Allowance

You’ll keep getting Carer’s Allowance if you stop caring for someone for a while because you:

  • have or might have coronavirus
  • are keeping away from other people to avoid coronavirus
Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.