Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Your benefit decision has been changed - Personal Independence Payment

This advice applies to Scotland

If you're already getting Personal Independence Payment (PIP) the decision on your claim may be changed.

This page tells you more about the different circumstances when the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) may change your decision and what you can do about it.

The DWP has been passed new medical evidence

The decision maker can change the decision by supersession if they receive medical evidence from a healthcare professional or someone who is approved to comment on your health. A supersession decision changes the decision from the date of the change.

The decision usually takes effect from the date the decision maker takes action to change the decision.

You were refused PIP because you didn’t meet the disability conditions

If you are refused PIP because you don’t meet the disability conditions for the daily living or mobility component, the decision can be revised if it is later decided that the decision was wrong due to an error. This will only happen if the error was made by DWP or someone else and you did not contribute to the error.

You were awarded benefit in advance

The DWP can decide to award you PIP before you have met all of the conditions for the benefit if they think you will meet them in the future. This rule makes sure that they can change that decision by revision if you don’t meet the conditions. For example, the DWP may award you PIP because they think your condition will stay the same for 12 months. If your condition unexpectedly improves this rule allows the decision maker to change the decision.

If you are awarded PIP on an advance claim and it is later decided that you did not meet the conditions for getting the benefit, the decision can be revised.  

If you’ve already been paid PIP on the advance award you may have to pay back any money you've received.

You're in a care home

You can't usually get the daily living component of PIP if you're living in a care home paid for by public funds. However, if all of the costs are paid by yourself or someone else, you can still be paid PIP.

If you're refused payment of PIP because you're in a care home paid for by public funds, the decision can be changed by revision if you or someone else pays for the care home charges from the date when you first claimed PIP. This means you'll be backdated any benefit you're owed to the date when the claim was made.

If you're in a care home and you or someone else start to pay the care home charges after you've been awarded PIP, you can be paid PIP from the date when the care home charges started to be paid. This is called a supersession decision.

You've been told you don't meet the disability conditions

When you're awarded PIP, you will be expected to take part in occasional assessments to see if your condition has changed.

If you don't return the PIP 'How your disability affects you' questionnaire or fail to take part in an assessment with a healthcare professional when you're asked to, the decision on your PIP claim can be changed.

A supersession decision will be made to say that you don't meet the disability conditions for the daily living or mobility component and can’t be paid PIP. This means that your benefit will be stopped or reduced from the date when the DWP becomes aware of the change.

You’ve appealed against a decision

DWP can revise a decision at any time if you’ve appealed against the decision and it has not yet been heard by an independent tribunal.

This could happen if DWP realise that their decision is wrong or they get new information or evidence showing it is wrong.  

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.