Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Get advice

This advice applies to Scotland

Coronavirus - getting advice in Scotland

You can check what to do if coronavirus affects your work, benefits or travel.

If you’ve checked our online advice and need to speak to an adviser, you can phone our national helpline or get advice from your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

You can call Scotland’s Citizens Advice Helpline on 0800 028 1456, Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm. Calls are free.

Or you can contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau. Find contact details for your local bureau on the Citizens Advice Scotland website. Check with your local bureau to find out how they’re giving advice, for example by phone, email or face-to-face appointments.

Your local bureau might have appointments for face-to-face advice. You won’t be able to get advice in the bureau without an appointment. Before your appointment, check with your bureau what measures are in place to keep you safe, including wearing a face covering.

Find advice online 

Use the search box at the top of the page or select a topic from the menu to find advice online. 

Get advice in your local area   

To get advice in your local area, find your nearest bureau on or use one of our specialist advice services.  

See what to bring to your Citizens Advice Bureau to check what information you should have to hand.

Tell the bureaux about any language or access requirements you have and they will do their best to accommodate them. 

Getting advice if you're deaf

ContactSCOTLAND-BSL offers a free interpreting service that enables deaf, British Sign Language (BSL) users to contact public, voluntary and private sector services in Scotland, including Citizens Advice Bureaux.

A BSL user can video call an interpreter at ContactSCOTLAND directly, who will then speak to the bureau adviser, and act as an intermediary for the deaf person.

More information about how the Video Relay Interpreting Service works can be found on the Contact SCOTLAND-BSL website.

How a bureau gives advice

Anyone can get free, impartial, confidential advice from the Citizens Advice Network. Each local bureau is independent. This means they provide advice in different ways. Check with your local bureau to find out how they give advice, for example by:

  • phone 
  • email
  • webchat.

Find your nearest bureau and how to get in contact on

Get advice on specialist topics

Citizens Advice Scotland supports advice on some specialist topics. Find out how to get advice on a dedicated topic below. 

Advice for members of the armed services, veterans and their families

You can get specialist advice about issues like housing, benefits and debt from the Armed Services Advice Project (ASAP) if you're:

  • serving in the Armed Forces, Regular or Reserve
  • ex–service, Regular or Reserve
  • a member of the Merchant Navy who served in a commercial vessel in support of legally defined UK military operations
  • a family member (dependant)

To get in touch you can:

  • call the Armed Services Advice Project on 0808 800 1007
  • ask us to call you - use the Get Advice from ASAP form to send us your contact details, and a trained adviser will phone you
  • visit your local CAB

Find out more on the ASAP website.

Defined contribution pensions

Pension Wise is a free and impartial government service about the different ways you can take money from your pension. The service is only for people 50 years old or over with a defined contribution pension.

You can book an appointment to speak to someone over the phone or in person. 

For more information visit the Pension Wise website or phone 0800 138 3944 (or +44 20 3733 3495 if you’re outside the UK) to book an appointment.

You can also read our online advice on pensions, including the state pension.

Energy - the supply of gas or electricity

Citizens Advice consumer service (Scotland)
Tel: 0808 223 1133 (Monday to Friday from 9.00am to 5.00pm)

The Citizens Advice consumer service will provide energy and postal service advice to Scottish consumers. You can find out more about the service, including how to get in touch online, on Contact the consumer helpline

EU citizens who need support to apply for Settled Status

EU Citizens Support is our new service for EU citizens who need extra support to apply for Settled Status. 

You might need more help if you:

  • have difficulty accessing an android mobile phone
  • have limited access to the internet
  • find it difficult to get the evidence you need to apply
  • are at greater risk due to personal circumstances
  • have specific immigration or residency issues

Find out how to contact our service on

Help to claim Universal Credit 

We can help if you're claiming Universal Credit for the first time.

Find out more about how to get help by web chat, phone or in-person on

Kinship care

If you're looking after a child because their parents can't you might be a kinship carer. Many aunts, uncles, grandparents and family friends are providing kinship care across Scotland. You might be entitled to extra support. Find out more about kinship care

Advisers at every Scottish bureau can provide detailed advice on kinship care.

If you can’t get to your local bureau, call the confidential Kinship Care Advice Service for Scotland:

National Kinship Care Advice service for Scotland
Helpline: 0808 800 0006 (Monday to Friday 9am-5pm)

Calls are free from landlines and most mobiles. Outside of operating times, please leave your contact details and a short message and you will be contacted within 24 hours, Monday to Friday.

Money advice 

If you’re struggling to make your money last or are worried about how you’ll pay your bills, you can get advice from the Money Talk Team to help ensure you are receiving all the money you're entitled to.

The advisers will check whether you’re getting as much income as you possibly could and find ways that you could pay out less each month.

If you have any money worries, or want to find out if you are missing out on money you're entitled to, the adviser will talk you through your options and help you find the best way forward.

To get free advice from the Money Talk Team call 0800 085 7145 or contact your local bureau.

You can find more information on the Money Talk Team website.

NHS complaints in Scotland

You can contact the Patient Advice and Support Service (PASS) for advice and support on 0800 917 2127.

Lines are open Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm.

You can find out more and use webchat on the PASS website

Online scams

If you think you may be at risk, or have already lost money due to an online scam - get specialist advice using our web chat. 

Find the web chat on

Post - mail you've sent or received

Citizens Advice consumer service (Scotland)
Tel: 0808 223 1133 (Monday to Friday from 9.00am to 5.00pm)

The Citizens Advice consumer service will provide energy and postal service advice to Scottish consumers. You can find out more about the service, including how to get in touch online, on Contact the consumer helpline

Other organisations that give advice

These are some of the other organisation who give advice on:

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.