Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Updating and proving your pre-settled or settled status

This advice applies to England

After you’ve applied to the EU Settlement Scheme, the Home Office will email you a letter to tell you what status they’ve given you. This is known as your decision letter.

Find out what to do if you disagree with the decision.

If you're waiting for a decision on your application to the EU Settlement Scheme

If you've applied to the EU Settlement Scheme, you still have the right to live and work in the UK while waiting for a decision. You can prove your rights in the UK using both: 

  • your passport or national ID card
  • your EU Settlement Scheme application certificate

Your application certificate might have been emailed to you when you applied, or it might be on your online account - it depends when you applied. If your certificate is online, you can get a share code on GOV.UK.

Your employer will need to use the Employer Checking Service to confirm your right to work.

If you leave the UK, you can prove your right to enter the country again using an identity document linked to your EU Settlement Scheme application - for example, your passport or national identity card.

Viewing your status

After you get your decision letter, you can view your pre-settled or settled status online on GOV.UK.

If you’re from the EU, EEA or Switzerland, you will not get a card showing your pre-settled or settled status - your status is only online.

Viewing your child’s status

Your child will have their own online status. To view your child’s status on GOV.UK, you’ll need the email address or phone number you used when you did their application.

Proving your right to work or rent

If you want to show someone your status, you can get a share code on GOV.UK. It's a good idea to print or write down the code when you get it.

You can give your share code to someone who needs to check your status - for example, a landlord or an employer.

This code is only valid for 30 days - if it isn’t used within the 30 days you will need to get a new one. Your decision letter is not proof of your status. 

Landlords, employers and local councils can check your status online if you give them a share code.

If your employer or landlord checked your status before 1 July 2021 and they want to do it again, this could be discrimination - unless they’re doing it for every employee or tenant. Talk to an adviser if you think you’ve been discriminated against.

Proving your right to claim benefits

If you have settled status, you have the same right to claim benefits as UK citizens - this is called your 'right to reside'. 

When you go for your interview at the Jobcentre you’ll need to prove your right to reside. You can do this by either:

  • printing a copy of your settled status decision letter
  • giving the Jobcentre a share code so they can view your settled status online - you can get a share code on GOV.UK

If the Jobcentre asks you for more evidence or says they can’t verify your settled status, talk to an adviser.

If your client needs more supporting evidence

The DMG originally said the DWP should accept your client’s settled status decision letter as supporting evidence and verify their status with the Home Office.

This guidance has been withdrawn. Jobcentres are now asking claimants for their settled status share code. They should add the code to your client’s Universal Credit online account.

If you have pre-settled status, you don’t automatically have the ‘right to reside’ to claim benefits. You might have the right to reside for different reasons - for example, because of things like your work or your family. Check if you have the right to reside.

Keeping your status up to date

You will need to update your online status if:

  • you renew or replace the identity document you used to apply - for example, if your passport expires 
  • you change your name - for example, if you get married
  • you change your address, phone number or email address - your contact details need to be up to date so you can view or share your status
  • you want to change your identity document or add another one

You might want to add another identity document so you can use it to travel - for example, if you applied using your national ID card but want to travel using your passport. 

To add or change your identity document, you'll need to upload a picture of it when you update your status online. It will be a number of weeks before you can log in with your new identity document details - make sure you keep the details of your old one until then.

When you add a new identity document to your online status, you’ll need to sign in using that identity document in the future.

Don’t worry if you can’t see your old identity document on your account. It’s still there, but the system might only show the most recent one you’ve added.

You can update your online status on GOV.UK.

If you don’t get confirmation after you've updated your online status, or you’ve been waiting longer than 4 weeks, contact the EU Settlement Scheme Resolution Centre.

Switching from pre-settled to settled status

You can apply to change from pre-settled status to settled status when you're eligible. Find out how to switch to settled status.

If you can’t access your online status

You might not be able to access your online status if you:

  • can’t access the email address or phone number you used to set up the account any more 
  • changed the passport or identity document you use in your account

You can contact the EU Settlement Scheme Resolution Centre and they will be able to recover your account and share your status for you.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.