Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Proving you have pre-settled or settled status

This advice applies to England

After you’ve applied to the EU Settlement Scheme, the Home Office will email you a letter to tell you what status they’ve given you. This is known as your decision letter. It is not proof of your status.

Find out what to do if you disagree with the decision.

Proving your status

You can prove you have pre-settled or settled status by giving people a code to view your online status page.

You can get the code on GOV.UK and share it with anyone.

After 31 December 2020, local councils, landlords and employers can check your status online.

You don’t need to carry identity with you to prove your status. 

Find out about your rights with settled and pre-settled status.

If you’re from the EU, EEA or Switzerland, you will not get a card to prove you have settled or pre-settled status.

If you’re from outside the EU, EEA or Switzerland

You’ll also get a card if you don’t already have a residence card or permit with a biometric chip. Make sure you take it with you when you travel - you need it to enter the UK.

After your residence card or permit expires, you can apply for a replacement on GOV.UK. Make sure you choose 'biometric residence card' and not 'permit' when you apply.

Viewing your child's status

Your child will have their own online status. To view your child's status, you'll need the email address or phone number you used when you applied.

Keeping your status up to date

You need to update your online status if you renew or replace the identity document you used to apply or you change your name.

Find out how to update your details online for the EU Settlement Scheme on GOV.UK.

If you renew or change your passport or identity card

You must send your passport or national identity card to the Home Office when you renew it or change your name on it.

You should allow plenty of time before you travel because it might take several weeks to get your document back.

Your status will be checked online at the border when you enter the UK. You might not be allowed into the UK if the name or number on your passport or identity card isn't the same as your online status.

Find out more about updating your settlement scheme details on GOV.UK.

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?
Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.