Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Child abuse - organisations that can help - introduction

This advice applies to England

In a case involving child abuse, it’s very important to be able to get support and practical help from a specialist organisation. This page tells you how to go about getting support.

The police

In an emergency, you can call the police on 999. If you want to contact the police when it’s not an emergency, you can call 101 and ask to be put through to the specialist child protection investigation team.

The local authority

You can contact the child protection team at your local authority. They will have a 24-hour emergency number. This may be available on their website or on the website of your Local Safeguarding Children Board.

The Samaritans

The Samaritans have a help line which you can call to talk about anything that is worrying you. You don’t have to be suicidal to contact them. Their number is: 08457 909090. Their website is

In an emergency, you might need legal advice, for example, if a child is being taken away into emergency protection. Many local solicitors that specialise in child abuse cases run an out-of-hours service.

Other organisations

There are a lot of specialist organisations that can offer support and practical help to:

  • children who are wanting help because they are being abused
  • parents whose child is being abused by someone else
  • parents who have abused a child, or fear that they might abuse a child, or have been accused of child abuse
  • anyone with concerns about the abuse or neglect of a child
  • adults who were abused when they were children.


You need to know that, in some cases, an organisation isn’t allowed to keep your concerns confidential. They have to share information with other agencies if you are in danger. Check their confidentiality policy for more information about this.

Next steps

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.