Neidio i’r llywio Neidio i’r cynnwys Neidio i’r troedyn

Extra benefits and help you can get while on DLA

Mae’r cyngor hwn yn berthnasol i Cymru

If you get DLA for your child, you might be able to get extra money from other benefits or help with travel, for example you might not have to pay vehicle tax.

You’ll need your DLA decision letter before you can apply for this extra help - you’ll be sent this when you get a decision on your DLA claim.

There are free benefits experts at your nearest Citizens Advice who can help you find out what you’re eligible for and help you to apply.

Use our benefits checker to find out if you’re claiming all the benefits you're entitled to.

Higher payments of benefits you already get

You can get higher payments of the following benefits if you get DLA for your child:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Universal Credit

You’ll also be exempt from the ‘benefit cap’ which limits the amount of benefit payments a household can get.

Check who pays your benefits and contact them (their contact details should be on any letters they send you). Tell them you’re getting DLA for your child and ask them what other help this entitles you to - it’s a good idea to have your decision letter handy when you call.

It's best to do this as soon as possible after getting a DLA decision.

Getting DLA won’t reduce any of your other benefits so it’s always best to ask what extra you’re entitled to.

Check if you can get Carer’s Allowance

Carer’s Allowance is a benefit for people who look after someone with a disability or health condition.

You’ll have a good chance of getting Carer’s Allowance if all the following apply:

  • you earn less than £123 a week
  • you get the middle or higher rate of the care component of DLA
  • you spend at least 35 hours a week (total) caring for your child 

Read more about claiming Carer’s Allowance on GOV.UK.

Check if you can get Income Support

Income Support is a benefit for people who don’t have enough to live on.

Universal Credit has replaced Income Support for most people. You can make a new claim for Income Support if you’re getting, or recently stopped getting, a benefit with a severe disability premium (SDP).

You might be getting an SDP with:

  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Housing Benefit

Check your award letter to see if you’re getting an SDP.

If you’re not getting an SDP you can check if you’re eligible for an SDP on GOV.UK.

If you recently stopped getting a benefit with an SDP and you’re still eligible for an SDP, you can make a new claim for Income Support. You must claim within a month of your old benefit stopping.

If you’re eligible for an SDP but it’s not included in your current benefit, contact your nearest Citizens Advice.

If you don’t get the severe disability premium, you should check if you can apply for Universal Credit.

You might be eligible if either:

  • you get the middle or higher rate of the DLA care component for your child, or
  • you get Carer’s Allowance as a carer for the child that the DLA is for

Call Jobcentre Plus to find out if you can get Income Support and start a claim. Make sure you have details about any recent earnings or employment when you call.

Jobcentre Plus - new claims
Telephone: 0800 055 6688
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Calls are free.

Get travel support

If you get the higher rate mobility component, you can get:

Apply for a grant from the Family Fund

The Family Fund is a charity that gives grants to ease the stress on families who have a disabled or seriously ill child.

You can apply for help if you’re on a low income and you care for a disabled or seriously ill child at home.

Check if you’re eligible and find out how to apply on the Family Fund website.

A oedd y cyngor hwn yn fuddiol?
Pam nad oedd y cyngor yn fuddiol?
A oedd y cyngor hwn yn fuddiol?

Diolch i chi, cyflwynwyd eich adborth.