Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

If your post sent with Royal Mail has been damaged

This advice applies to England

You can complain to Royal Mail if post you’ve received has been damaged or you think it’s been opened without your permission. They’ll investigate what’s happened.

You should keep the envelope or packaging as evidence. If an item has been damaged, you should keep that too.

You might be able to get compensation if your post was damaged while being delivered - use our tool to find out if you can claim compensation.

Complaining to Royal Mail

You can phone or email them - choose ‘complaints and claims’ to get started.
You could also call their customer services team. If they can’t resolve your complaint straight away, ask to speak to a manager.

If you can’t get through over the phone, try tweeting @RoyalMail - you might get a quicker response.

If you prefer to write, use their Freepost address:

Royal Mail Customer Services

Telephone: 03457 740 740
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Saturday, 8am to 1pm
Sunday, 9am to 2pm
Calls cost up to 12p per minute from landlines, 3p to 45p from mobiles

If you're not happy with the response

Contact the Postal Review Panel using their online form or by writing them a letter. The Postal Review Panel are part of Royal Mail but they’ll look at your complaint fairly. They should get back to you within 30 days.

Postal Review Panel

If the Postal Review Panel can't resolve your complaint

They’ll refer you to an alternative dispute resolution scheme run by the Postal Redress Service (POSTRS). POSTRS is independent and will examine the case from both sides to reach a decision they think is fair.

You can find out which postal products and services POSTRS investigates . If your product or service is not on that list, you could use an alternative dispute resolution. Read about what steps you’d need to take.

You can go straight to POSTRS without a referral from the Postal Review Panel if Royal Mail:

  • take longer than 90 days to solve your complaint
  • haven’t followed their complaints procedure

You can do this by filling in their online claim form, calling them or writing to them.

POSTRS (Postal Redress Service)
70 Fleet Street

Tel: 020 7520 3766
Fax: 020 7520 3768
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Calls cost up to 12p per minute from landlines, 3p to 45p from mobiles.



Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.