Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Council Tax Reduction - extended reductions

This advice applies to England

If you’re getting Council Tax Reduction, there are some circumstances where you can carry on getting it, after your entitlement would otherwise have stopped. This is called getting extended Council Tax Reduction (CTR).

Read this page to find out more about when you can get extended Council Tax Reduction.

If you claim Pension Credit

If you were getting CTR and it’s due to stop, you may be able to carry on getting it for up to another four weeks if you or your partner has made a claim for Pension Credit. You must either have:

  • reached the age when you are allowed to make a claim for Pension Credit, or
  • reached the age of 65 if you are over the age for getting Pension Credit but getting income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance or income-related Employment and Support Allowance.

You can also get an extension of your CTR if you’re not actually getting Pension Credit but certain benefits have been stopped because you now qualify for Pension Credit or because you have reached the age of 65.

Benefits which stop because you qualify for Pension Credit

The benefits which can be stopped because you qualify for Pension Credit are:

  • Income Support
  • income-based jobseeker's allowance (JSA)
  • income-related Employment And Support Allowance (ESA).

What age can you get Pension Credit?

If you're a woman, the age you can get Pension Credit is the same as your state pension age.

If you're a man, the age you can get Pension Credit might be different from your state pension age.

  • The GOV.UK website has an online calculator which tells you when you can get Pension Credit, available at

If you get other benefits

If you’re a pensioner, you may be able to get extended CTR if you’re getting certain other benefits which are stopped.

Which benefits must you have been getting?

You may be able to get extended CTR if you or your partner was getting one of the following benefits for at least 26 weeks:

  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • contributory Employment and Support Allowance (ESA).

However, you won’t be able to get extended CTR if you or your partner was also getting one of the following benefits on top of these, during the last week of benefit entitlement:

  • Income Support
  • income-based JSA
  • income-related ESA.

Why was the benefit stopped?

The benefit must have been stopped for one of the following reasons, because you or your partner:

  • started work
  • started self-employed work
  • increased your hours of work
  • increased your earnings.

You must expect this change in your circumstances to last for at least five weeks.

How long can you carry on getting CTR?

You can carry on getting CTR for a period of up to four weeks.

Do you need to apply for the extended reduction?

You don't need to apply for this extended reduction - you should get it automatically. But if you think you should have got it and you didn’t, you should check with your local authority or get help from an advice agency such as a CAB.

How much reduction will you get during the extended reduction?

If you get an extended reduction, you will either get the same reduction as you got before you stopped getting benefit or the amount you are entitled to based on your new circumstances.

If one of these amounts is higher than the other, you will get the higher amount.

If you’re moving to a different area

If you are getting an extended reduction under one local authority and you move under a new local authority, the new authority must give you the same extended reduction as the first one.

Next steps

Did this advice help?
Why wasn't this advice helpful?

Please tell us more about why our advice didn't help.

Did this advice help?

Thank you, your feedback has been submitted.