Benefits - introduction
Learn about the benefits you can get and how they are paid. If you are not happy with a decision, find out what you can do and how you can appeal.
If you pay national insurance, find out which contributions pay for which benefits.
Get a quick idea of the benefits you could get including disability benefits and links to free and detailed benefit eligibility tools and calculators
Check how benefits and tax credits are paid - usually by direct credit transfer into bank, building society or Post Office card accounts. Find out about the Payment Exception Service if you can't use an account.
What you should do if you're volunteering while you're on benefits.
- Challenging a benefit decision
- If a problem with National Insurance is affecting your benefits
- Benefit overpayments
- You think you're being accused of benefit fraud
- If you’ve been invited to an interview under caution for benefit fraud
- Complaining about the service you’ve received – benefits and tax credits